MUSEUMS & CULTURAL

previous   next

 






THE CONCORD MUSEUM
Concord, MA
 


The growing collection of 17th, 18th, and 19th century America historical artifacts (including Henry David Thoreau’s treatise on Walden Pond, Paul Revere’s lantern, and Emerson’s private study), along with the desire to meet and improve contemporary visitor services has led to the expansion and overall renovation of the existing 1930’s Georgian house museum.

The resulting 9000 SF masonry addition makes provision for accessibility and includes an audio-visual theater, gift shop, new contemporary exhibit galleries and collection storage. The new addition is in keeping with the residential and historic character of the original building and neighborhood. It helps to define a new exterior courtyard space that serves as a focal and orientation point for visitors as they move through the new facility. For this project, James Cullion was Associate in Charge and Project Architect at Graham Gund Architects.